Dr Stephanie Dean
Assistant Professor, New Media
Middle Tennessee State University
“The machine does not isolate man from the great problems of nature but plunges him more deeply into them.”
Stuff I do/have done
- PhD in Computer Mediated Communication.
- Developed programs and taught courses in digital culture and CMC on the undergrad and grad level since 2004 at HUMlab, Umeå Sweden.
- Won Wahlgrenska Research Grant in Media Studies in 2008 and 2013.
- Published about social media, identity hacking, digital youth culture, gaming, and ed tech.
- Vlogged and blogged the past 11 years.
- Live blogged/vlogged events such as the Jokkmokk winter market and various academic conferences.
- Taught middle school students to edit video and make machinima.
- Taught 6-9 year olds how to code computer games.
- Created huge cupcake scapes in retro gameboard themes.
- Hendrick, Stephanie, Beyond the Blog. (Dissertation) Umeå University. 2012.
- Hendrick, Stephanie Fayth, ‘A Mediated Discourse Analysis of Pseudonymous Blogging’, Tracking Discourses: Politics, Identity and Social Change, 2011, 225.
- Hendrick, S Fayth, and Simon Lindgren, ‘YouTube as a Performative Arena: How Swedish Youth Are Negotiating Space’, Youth Culture and Net Culture: Online Social Practices, 2010, 153.
- Hendrick, Stephanie, ‘Following Conversational Traces: Part 1: Creating a Corpus with the ICWSM Dataset.’, Paper presented at The International Conference on Weblogs and Social Media. 2007. http://www.icwsm.org/papers/4–Hendrick.pdf.
- Efimova, Lilia, and Stephanie Hendrick, ‘In Search for a Virtual Settlement: An Exploration of Weblog Community Boundaries’, Communities & Technologies, 5 (2005).
- Efimova, Lilia, Stephanie Hendrick, and Anjo Anjewierden, ‘Finding’ the Life Between Buildings’: An Approach for Defining a Weblog Community’, Internet research, 6 (2005), 1–15.
- Hendrick, Stephanie, Therese Örnberg, and TN Burg, ‘The Weblog as an Immersive Space: Moblogging Jokkmokk 2004’, BlogTalks2, 2004, 201–236.
Funded Research Projects
- 2013-2014: Understandings of Online Victimization, HUMlab, Umea University
Researcher in a one-year research project funded by the Swedish Crime Victim Compensation and Support Authority.
- 2013-2015: Media Places
Researcher in a three-part research project in collaboration with Stanford University and the Wallenberg Network Initiative.
- 2010-2013: The Role of the Internet as a Surrogate Social Network in Situations of Domestic Violence in Swedish Context.
Researcher and grant writer in a three-year, three-part research project funded by the Swedish Crime Victim Compensation and Support Authority. (Sole Author)
- 2004-2006: YouTube as a Performative Arena.
Researcher in a three-year, three-part research project funded by the Swedish Knowledge Foundation. Principle Researcher for first and final part of project.
Download my CV
See points of collaboration? Contact me!